Monday, November 14, 2011
These things have effects on adults, too. There's an old saying, "Don't go shopping when you're hungry". In that environment, it's true. You may be more susceptible to impulse buying if you haven't eaten. This kind of flies in the face of our ancestry. Our paleolithic predecessors, of course, didn't go "shopping" to get a huge cart full of food to take back to the family cave. They didn't have that option. They had to go after food when they needed it. In this society, we don't do that. Hearkening back to previous posts, it's important to remember that we now, in modern times, usually don't have to expend much energy in comparison to the number of calories that we can lay our hands on. That's why we get fat. It's really that simple.
When you do your grocery shopping, try staying out of the center aisles in the store. If you look, most of the stores have a similar set-up. The outer walls of the store are where you will find, fruit, vegetables, meat, cheese, other dairy products. The interior is where they keep the cereals, bread, candy, cookies, pasta, canned food, ice cream, baking supplies, etc.
Keep in mind that a great deal of research goes into item placement and packaging. There are many dedicated professionals, whose purpose in life is to make YOU reach for that package of cookies. They're good at what they do. They'll manipulate you, and they will use your kids as pawns in the game. Don't fall for it. Take charge of what you feed your family. It's YOUR decision.
Labels: FOOD PLACEMENT
- ► 2012 (66)
- While we fight to stay healthy in a modern world, ...
- OK, that's what everyone seems to be talking...
- Ok, here we are at the day most feared by dieters...
- "Point shaving" is probably the ultimate taboo in ...
- We get caught up in our day to day activities...
- An article in the Boston Globe today, dealt with t...
- When you get a chance, the next time you're in a g...
- Those of us who refer to ourselves as "Runners" (y...
- I read today that researchers at the Univers...
- Bushido was the code of conduct of feudal Japan. ...
- A bit of a departure from our regular theme here: ...
- First of all, I wear shoes. Let's face it, in our...
- Christopher McDougall | Born to Run | National Bes...
- Holidays are upon us. This is a traditional time ...
- RESPONSIBILITY...................We have a very fo...
- The Lost Secret of Running - Video Library - The N...
- We have an elliptical machine that sits, ever at t...
- What I really need to know about fitness/diet/exer...
- Our culture seems to revolve around the consumptio...
- Looked at some "diet supplements". One thing that...
- ▼ November (20)
PRESCRIBED FOR LIFE
- "BLACK FRIDAY" (1)
- "Diet Supplements" (1)
- "IF IT FEELS BAD......DO IT" (1)
- "Point Shaving" (1)
- "Situational Eating" (1)
- A BETTER WAY TO MINIMIZE IMPACT (1)
- Blood Flow (1)
- Bushido (1)
- CABALLO BLANCO....... (1)
- CAVEMEN AND PIE (1)
- DIABETES INCREASE (1)
- DON'T BLAME PAULA DEEN (1)
- DON'T DO WHAT YOUR MOM SAID (1)
- END THE FEAST (1)
- FOOD PLACEMENT (1)
- FOOD RELATIONSHIPS (1)
- Just WHAT IS "PALEO"? (1)
- MARINE CORPS' 236TH BIRTHDAY (1)
- MY ATTITUDE COACH (1)
- MY RUNNING GROUP (1)
- NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTIONS ARE A WASTE OF TIME........ALMOST (1)
- OLD HABITS DIE HARD (1)
- OPPORTUNITIES/FLEXIBILITY (1)
- PREDATORS (1)
- Primitive Encounters (1)
- RESPONSIBILITY (1)
- SHOES ARE RUINING OUR FEET (1)
- SLEEP (1)
- Stealth Calories (1)
- TALKING YOU DOWN FROM THE BRIDGE (1)
- TARGETED CALORIE EATING (1)
- THANKSGIVING (1)
- USMC BOOT CAMP LESSONS (1)
- WHAT AM I MISSING HERE? (1)
- WHAT IS IMPORTANT TO YOU? (1)